Monday, 23 June 2014

Celiac Awareness Month 2014

Did you know that May is Celiac Awareness Month? This doesn't mean just focusing on Celiac Disease, although education to demystify the condition is very important. Gluten intolerance and gluten allergies are all wrapped up in this  as well.

There is a long list of associated conditions- Thyroid problems, digestive issues, allergies, eczema, psoriasis, mental fog, Asthma, Autism, ADHD and infertility are just a few.

Also, it is frightful how few people actually know what gluten is- particularly those who in the food/ restaurant and hospitality sector. Fewer still seem to understand the impact gluten can have, whether its effect is noticeable on the person or not. It can take years to reverse underlying damage.

My brother has colitis and has fought the idea of a gluten free diet for awhile. After watching House (haha) and how it was explained he has decided to go for it. I think in some ways this a positive change. More mainstream shows need to highlight issues not make fun of it. 

Additionally, I wanted to highlight two resources I found helpful. Gluten Dude is a go to resource for support, education and some rather thought provoking content.
Another valuable website is Inspired RD. It is all about health, nutrition and life.  In terms of recipes, I suggest the Baking Beauties. They craft wonderful recipes. I really want to try making their doughnuts. 

Here is a recipe i adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jambalaya/based on Jambalaya. It was based on what I had in the pantry and fridge.
  • I used 6 round sausages (gluten free)
  • half a red onion
  • 3 large potatoes, diced
  • 3 cups of rice
  • -some mixed vegetables
  • salt and pepper
  • chili powdr
First, I cooked the sausages. Then I added them to a large pot with the onions and potatoes. Then I added some spices. Next, i added the rice. near the end, i added some mixed vegetables. Then I added salt and pepper to taste.

It was actually good! All you need is some flexibility and creativity and you can come up with the best creations.

This is a late post- oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment