Sunday, 7 July 2013

Laura Howard, The Forgotten Ones, A Review


'Allison O'Malley's plan is to go to grad school so she can get a good job and take care of her schizophrenic mother. She has carefully closed herself off from everything else, including a relationship with Ethan, who she's been in love with for as long as she can remember.
What is definitely not part of the plan is the return of her long-lost father, who claims he can bring Allison's mother back from the dark place her mind has gone. Allison doesn't trust her father, so why would she believe his stories about a long forgotten Irish people, the Tuatha de Danaan? But truths have a way of revealing themselves. Secrets will eventually surface. And Allison must learn to set aside her plan and work with her father if there is even a small chance it could restore her mother's sanity.'

I was blessed to receive Laura Howard's The Forgotten Ones in a contest. Yay! I get to indulge my fantasy lover side. I love Celtic Mythology and The Forgotten Ones ties reality and ancient Celtic mythology perfectly.

It is a new take on the story of the Fae. I was very intrigued by the plot line. This seemed like a story that could happen in real life. As well, I love reading about the fae. As well, it is interesting seeing how the main protagonist Alison, opened up during the course of the novel. Alison is easy to relate to. As someone who is also shy and determined to reach their goals, it is nice to read about someone like me :).  Throw in some interesting characters, great scenes and writing and you have the recipe for an awesome novel.  I can't wait to read the next installment.  I thoroughly recommend giving it a try!



I know some people have difficulty with the ancient Irish names.  The glossary at the end of the book is a necessary addition. Personally, I have a huge fascination with names. I am so glad that Ms. Howard took such care in using the proper mythological names. 

Connect with Laura Howard on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads. 
Laura Howard lives in New Hampshire with her husband and four children. Her  obsession with books began at the age of 6 when she got her first library card. Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley High and other girly novels were routinely devoured in single sittings. Books took a backseat to diapers when she had her first child. It wasn’t until the release of a little novel called Twilight, 8 years later, that she rediscovered her love of fiction. Soon after, her own characters began to make themselves known. The Forgotten Ones is her first published novel.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/laurahoward78               

You can also friend/ follow me on Goodreads! 

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/12841895-ashleigh-swerdfeger

For another perspective: 
Here is a link to another review: http://booknerdash.blogspot.ca/2013/06/the-forgotten-ones-blog-tour-and.html

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it - I'm going to be reading and reviewing this one soon, so I was curious to see what you thought.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! That is so nice of you to read my review. I really hope you enjoy it. The Forgotten Ones is a great book :)

      Delete